Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Bizarre and Yummy


We love Halloween at out house.
It is a great time for dressing up and having a really fun time.
One thing I have learned over the years is to make Halloween dinner easy and nutritious because it is that last good thing your kids will eat for days.


I had planned on fixing this dish on Halloween but then realized
that our church was having a "Chili Cook Off" that night.
So I saved it for the following Sunday dinner.
It is very easy and yummy.

First I started with this Black spaghetti I found at Target.
It is Target's store brand, I find that most “Archer Farm's"
things are pretty good quality.

Cook according to the directions on the package.
If you are wondering the black color comes from squid ink.
It tasted like regular spagetti.
I made the sauce the day before and left it in the crock pot for half a day.
I used meat balls. (eye balls)
Italian sausage cooked in the skins then sliced and browned
(One of my daughters calls these pig snouts)
Slices of pepperoni
Sautéed mushrooms
Sliced Olives
A jar of your favorite pasta sauce
(I like the no sugar added with garlic and basil)

Drain and rinse the spaghetti.
If you add a little olive oil to the water

it helps to keep your spaghetti from sticking

Plate up the spagetti. Add your sauce. You now have a meal fit for Halloween.


I also made this Apple Crown cake for dessert.

A week earlyer when I was gone my son Kit, had made a cake that turned out pretty well but it being from scratch is was only at its best that 1st day. So no one wanted to finish it up after the 2 day. Well Sunday morning EM looked undre the cake safe thinking to see the old cake and low and behold there was this new cake. She wondered where Martha was. Now I don't clame to be Martha but this is a really yummy cake and not so hard to make.

EM suggested that I make a Carmelly sauce to put on it.
I know it kind of looks like gravy but believe me it doesn't taste like it.I wanted to show this close up of the cake so you can see the layers of cake and apples.
Also notice Kit ready to dig into his piece. When the kids were little we started a habit that no one takes a bite of desert till the one who made it takes a bite first. Just a polite thing. That way Mom gets to taste it before everyone is done eating it. So you see Kit ready and waiting for me to stop taking pictures and take a bite.
YES it was that good!!


1 comment:

angeliclenore said...

I am very disturbed by the black noodles! But like a car wreck, I just can't stop looking at them! I will have to go to Target and see if they have any here in Utah! I can't wait to gross out some nephews!!